ALGANSEE TOWNSHIP HISTORY
Algansee Township is situated on the eastern border of Branch County. The township was formed from Quincy Township by the Legislature on April 2, 1838. It is believed that Luther Stiles and Ludovicus Robbins were the first white permanent settlers in the territory now known as Algansee Township. Although total strangers, by a curious coincidence, both moved their families into the township on the same day. The Rev. Robbins led, but became mired in the mud, and Stiles passed him, thus by an hour or so, Mr. Stiles appears to be the original settler.
The first township meeting and election were held at the house of Horace Purdy early in May 1838. The settlers at the time wished to call their new township ” Carlton,” but the Legislature at this time was much interested in “Indian names,” or what they thought were Indian names. As a matter of fact, this appears to be another Schoolcraft creation, and has no meaning in the Indian tongues of the time and place. More Algansee history…
Call MISSDIG 811
STOP, before you dig call miss dig at 811 or visit elocate.missdig811.org. Its the law its fast and free.
Any projects that require digging call 811. Projects include decks, trees or shrubs, signs, mailbox’s, room additions, landscape, fences.
New Algansee Library Hours
New library Hours, Closed Mondays, Tuesdays 12pm to 5pm, Wednesdays 11am to 5pm, Thursdays 12pm to 5pm, Fridays 11am to 5pm, Saturdays 9am to 1pm.